This museum is a privately built and owned non-profit museum. The mission of this museum is "to educate today's generation about yesterday's rural Campbell County; 1845 through about 1965." The museum consists of two re-constructed log cabins, which were built before the Civil War. From 1982 to 1996, both cabins were rebuilt by the owner along with friends and relatives to look as if they had been originally located at the present site.
Besides the cabins, there is an extensive collection of old/antique farm equipment, steam engine, tools and household items. Maps, school books, a blacksmith shop, a broom makers shop, two windmills, a replica covered bridge, and three antique farm tractors are all part of the permanent collection.
Historically, the area around Grants Lick had many salt wells. Native American Indians first lived here, then came the pioneer settlers who discovered the salt wells. After surveying and settling the area in October 1797, the pioneers went into business of making salt, which was sold by the bushel. John Grant was one of the partners in the salt making business, and eventually had his name given to the entire area.
The town of Grants Lick was a thriving community in the 1800's. Daniel Boone's sister, Mary Boone Bryan, eventually moved here to live out the end of her life on her son's farm. She was first buried on his farm on Wolf Road, but in the 1920's the Daughters of the American Revolution had her remains reburied in the Oakland (Grants Lick) Cemetery next to the museum. The cemetery and church date to the 1850's.
The Campbell County Log Cabin Museum is a Local History and Agricultural Artifact Museum that is free to the public - but donations are very much appreciated!Show more