Promont House in Milford, Ohio, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. It is an Italianate Victorian structure, built in 1865 by William Megrue, and purchased in 1879 by John Pattison, who became the 43rd governor of Ohio in 1905.
The house, named the "finest house in Clermont County" when built, was received by the Greater Milford Area Historical Society in 1984 from the estate of James Kirgan. The museum is named Promont because of its location "high on a hill," situated on five acres overlooking the village of Milford. Small gardens, labeled native Ohio trees and benches provide a restful view of the grounds and house. The interior of the house has been restored to the magnificence of the Victorian period when it was occupied by John Pattison. A large stained glass window on the front stairway, varied moldings in each room, Italian marble fireplaces, and a four story tower offering a panoramic view of the town, provide a trip back to the elegance of the Victorian Period.Show more